Thursday, June 23, 2011

Are Wrinkles and Osteoporosis Related?

An e-blast from Dr. Andrew Weil today cites a study in which researches are analyzing data on a possible correlation between wrinkles and bone loss. The group of 114 women were involved in a study analyzing the effectiveness of HRT, and from that study derived an associate study in which bone mineral density was recorded as well as the number and direction of wrinkles on their face. Investigators found that the more wrinkles a woman had, the lower the bone density was likely to be.
The report stated that the greater the number of horizontal and vertical lines between the eyes (from squinting) , the lower the bone density was to likely be in the hip. (Well, of course you know what I did when I read that…I ran right into the bathroom to look in the mirror – whew! No wrinkles!!) On the plus side, the fewer wrinkles a woman has on her face and forehead, the stronger their bones at the hip and spine, the study showed. These findings may turn out to be particularly meaningful if future studies determine the same outcome, and it could help doctors be alerted to potential osteoporosis by examining a women’s skin.
When I read about this study it reminded me of other studies that have been done, showing an increase in bone mineral density for women using bio-identical progesterone cream. Progesterone BUILDS bone mass, whereas estrogen prevents further loss. Again – progesterone BUILDS BMD – this is very important to know because most often doctors will prescribe a form of estrogen or synthetic estrogen when a woman is diagnosed with osteoporosis. Estrogen only stops bone loss, of which there already may have been a significant amount. Use of progesterone, on the other hand, can actually rebuild bone mass, according to the studies, reported in Dr. John Lee’s book, “What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause”. Click here for some links to articles by Lee on osteoporosis: http://www.virginiahopkinstestkits.com/osteoporosisleadin.html
Another positive benefit of natural progesterone cream for the older generation (and nowadays, even the young as I read obits of people in their 20s dying from stroke!) are studies showing the aid it provides for stroke victims. http://www.virginiahopkinstestkits.com/progesterone_stroke.html
Applying a topical progesterone cream to the forehead apparently helps brain cells repair more quickly. This makes me wonder if studies are being done to examine the benefits of progesterone for Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s patients, and I do believe I have read some about this as well. It makes sense to me, afterall, our brains contain more progesterone than any other part of our body, other than the uterus when a woman is pregnant. It makes sense that a drop in progesterone levels would affect brain function.
Today I read in the news that long time country singer, Glen Campbell, (I grew up with his music in our home!) has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s in the early stages. My first thought when I read this was to wonder if he had been on statin drugs for high cholesterol…if I were a betting gal, I would put money on it. Vitamin deficiency is another cause, in particular the B vitamins, which are critical for repairing brain DNA. (I am so glad my husband no longer needs statin drugs and we were able to lower his cholesterol numbers through diet and vitamin supplementation.)
Sorry, I digress…diseases that affect the brain are an entirely different topic; but wait, that’s not true! Osteoporosis and brain function share a commonality in the need for balanced hormones and diet in order to avoid both of these disabling diseases. A separate report also shows that estrogen can negatively affect the brain as it is an excitotoxin in excess. So I question…if estrogen supplements are prescribed to a woman to stop bone loss, and they are not given progesterone to maintain balance (which would also increase bone density) – then aren’t these women more susceptible to Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s? It seems so – check this report http://www.virginiahopkinstestkits.com/brainonhormones.html
I have a relative in advanced stages of Alzheimer’s, and having learned this, I have a need to know if she was ever on Rx for bone loss and if so, what it may have been (PremPro, for instance).
Mr. Campbell will always be my Rhinestone Cowboy! I wish him the best and pray that as well as top medical doctors, his family is also seeking counsel from a doctor who is practicing alternative or holistic medicine. I am confident, with all the studies being done in holistic medicine, that early stages could be kept to just that, and even reversed? I just read about success with this shortly after I typed this thread initially. Who knows for sure? I must say, when I apply my Prolief progesterone cream, alternating the places on my body in which I apply it as directed, I do feel some confidence in knowing that when I apply it to my forehead (as in Dr. Bean's instructions) that I am perhaps helping my brain repair cells and hopefully preventing possible health issues down the road.
Interesting information to think about today, don't you agree?

To your health!
Rita S.

No comments:

Post a Comment