Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Fructose - A Sweet Surprise

Today I received an email from Newsmax, publishers of the Blaylock Wellness Report that I often cite here. A product called Slimtevia is being offered, which sounds like a super replacement for sugar.
If you have tried Stevia, you may associate this all natural sweetener, alternative to sugar, as having a slightly bitter aftertaste. The company who is offering Slimtevia has found that the tiniest bit of fructose helps to offset the bitterness, making a sweetener that so mimics sugar that it is guaranteed that you won't be able to tell the difference.
Their explanation of fructose, in my opinion, was stellar...and I thought I would share this with you today. Basically, this is a cut and paste...I cannot take credit for the information as it comes from the makers of Slimtevia.
Here are some surprising health facts about fructose you may not know...Won’t spike blood sugar. While both table sugar and HFCS cause sharp spikes in blood sugar levels, fructose does not produce this effect.
Lowest GI of all sugars. Fructose has the lowest glycemic load and Glycemic Index (GI) rating of all natural sugars (GI is a measure of how quickly a food affects blood sugar). Pure glucose has a GI value of 100. HFCS ranks at 73. Table sugar weighs in at 65. Honey has a GI of 55. Skim milk is 31. And fructose is a very low 19.
Good for bad blood sugar. Because it does not cause surges and dips in blood glucose levels, small amounts of fructose are actually considered beneficial to people with blood sugar disorders. (Studies show that fructose consumed before a meal can lessen the total rise in blood glucose levels after eating.
Click here to see the research.)
Doesn’t trigger insulin. Fructose is often recommended for people with diabetes because it does not trigger the production of insulin when consumed in small amounts.
Actually decreases blood sugar. In a study published in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism, researchers found that in small doses, fructose actually LOWERS blood glucose -- and it was more effective at doing so in people who had poor glucose tolerance.
Satisfies hunger longer. Consuming fructose instead of glucose results in lower circulating levels of leptin (the hormone responsible for appetite), and elevated levels of ghrelin (the hormone which governs hunger satisfaction).
Less is more. Fructose is twice as sweet as sugar and HFCS.This means you need far less fructose to achieve the same level of sweetness. Result? Fewer calories of fructose achieve the same “sweetness satisfaction” as real sugar.


I admit, after reading this, I had an "ah ha" moment as I now understand why my favorite AB protein shake uses a trace amount of fructose, along with the stevia, as the natural sweetener. Now, when people express concern that fructose is on the ingredient list, I can assure them it is a good thing.

To your health!
Rita S.

5 comments:

  1. I am revisiting this post and see Dr. Blaylock's research link did not work and I apologize. I don't save all the e-blasts I get and I am not sure I can even find it now.
    Also, my favorite protein shake has been reformulated and contains ZERO fructose now - it never bothered me before but for those who want a "ose" free shake, it is now available.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried Slimtevia? I found your blog (which I am enjoying!) while looking for reviews on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. After trying all of the other artificial sweeteners, I tried Slimstevia, even tho I thought that the regular Stevia I'd tried tasted like crap, and was VERY pleasantly surprised! It DOES taste like sugar, with virtually NO aftertaste!! Now, I use only Slimstevia and a bit of Agave nectar in the 10 - 12 cups of coffee I have every day. Only odd thing about it is that, while it seems to dissolve completely when stiring it into my coffee, there is always a little bit of 'grit' left in the mug after my last swallow. Not enough of a problem to make me stop using it!! Just curious as to what that's about

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have to give this a try. I use a lot of Sucralose, which I like better than Aspartame or Saccharine. I have tried Stevia, but it has a "grassy" sweet taste that I don't care for as much. I haven't noticed the bitter after-taste, but I'll have to look for it next time, and then compare it to this Slimtevia.

    I have read other reviews, and they seem to be mixed, as if different people respond differently to sweeteners. That would not be surprising. Taste test strips are available that taste sweet to some, very bitter to others, and not at all to still others.

    Humans evolved to crave sugar. Sugar has a very specific biological role, and our bodies selected for it. Changing to a completely different chemical that just happens to taste sweet to some people may not be as successful. Preferences for any artificial or alternative sweetener may be less universal, I'm sorry to say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Psyched - no. I have not tried Slimtevia. Reason being - I don't have a need to sweeten foods I eat. Although for readers looking for a safe and tasty sweetener I thought it was worth mentioning.

    Diego - sounds like the Slimtevia is working for you. However, I feel obliged to caution you about your coffee intake. 10-12 cups is not moderation, and coffee is acidic. From a cancer prevenative standpoint - i fear you are tempting disaster.

    Karl - sucralose, being an artificial sweetener, is an excitotoxin just like the others you mention. Natural, even cane sugar, is a better alternative, IMO. Please check out Blaylcok's book, "Excitotoxins, the Taste that Kills".

    FOR ANY READERS WITH CANCER I caution you to avoid ALL FRUCTOSE and sweeteners, natural and artificial. Traditional ongologists may tell you it doesn't matter what you eat, but if you do your own diligence you will find there is plenty of information/research available that explains how sugars FUEL CANCER cells. Sugar, like coffee, is acidic. Please be aware that food you eat is either energy and fuel for the body or toxic

    ReplyDelete