My journey as a new AB consultant has been one that has led me on a path of regained health and well-being. It has been a year of research and study, and what I have learned has greatly impacted my life. I thought I would provide a brief list of some of the things that have been real eye openers for me this year.
What I learned in 2010:
• Hygiene, cosmetics and healthcare products formulated in the U.S. contain many toxins and chemicals (are not FDA regulated), and subsequently produce xenoestrogens in our body. These xenoestrogens are viewed as estrogen by the body, but are not necessarily measured in our bloodstream (instead, are stored in cells), which is why a saliva test panel is needed to accurately measure hormone levels. Lab work done with a blood sample will not accurately measure all estrogen found in the body.
• Per the EPA, 60% of what we put on your skin is absorbed into the bloodstream and organs in 26 seconds.
• Mineral oil and other petro-chemical derivatives abound in U.S. products, which mask themselves as estrogen in our bodies. As an aside, Israel banned mineral oil from their cosmetics and pesticide use on their produce, and had a 50% drop in breast cancer in ten years. A John Hopkins study also reveals that mineral oil is a major cause of aging skin. Read ingredient labels!
• Petro-chemical toxins are endocrine disruptors, or xenohormones – which basically mean they mimic natural hormones when absorbed by the body.
• Environmental awareness. Chemicals go ON our bodies via skin lotions, make-up, etc.; IN our foods via pesticides, growth hormones, and processing; and SURROUND us with use of air fresheners, fumes in paints, perms, nail polish remover, and through chemicals sprayed on lawns, in and around homes, factories, offices.
• Estrogen dominance (progesterone hormone is too low to balance out estrogen) is the cause of 80% of all breast cancer; not to mention all cancers involving reproductive organs in men and women.
• Other causes of cancer include genetics, radiation, and iatrogenic (hormone replacement, the Pill, prescriptions), stress.
• Conventional doctors often know little about estrogen dominance/hormone imbalance; many being concerned only with estrogen. Synthetic hormones (often prescribed and FDA approved), are proven to cause cancers, heart attack and strokes – and removed from the market too late for those already victim to side effects and disease.
• Progesterone is critical for brain development in the fetus, low levels can lead to infertility, miscarriage (which is at an all-time high in the U.S. due to estrogen dominance). Progesterone is also key in protecting the brain from memory loss, and has been found to help restore function in stroke victims. Progesterone can actually build bone mass, whereas estrogen only prevents further loss of bone mass for osteoporosis patients. Progesterone heals damaged cells.
• Symptoms of estrogen dominance include migraine headaches, depression, night sweats, hot flashes, PMS, hair loss, fibromyalgia, fatigue, sleep disturbances, fibroids and cysts, to name a few.
• Excess estrogen is stored in fat cells, which can mutate into cancer cells as estrogen accumulates. The more fat cells one has, the greater the risk. (Thus Rita’s weight loss quest using Arbonne’s Figure 8 products and diet change, so far equaling loss of 40+ pounds and two sizes since mid-August.)
• White/simple carbs are processed in our bodies much the same as table sugar, causing an insulin surge. Eat whole grains.
• Statin drugs used to lower cholesterol can promote memory loss.
• MSG (monsodium glutamate) is the “silent killer” in our food industry. Studies show it increases rapid brain activity, aka excitotoxicity,w hich is the body’s reaction to excessive amounts of certain amino acids, such as glutamate, aspartate and L-cysteine. It is linked to obesity, multiple sclerosis, vision loss, ADD and ADHD – to name a few.
• A side note – Rita just learned this from her new hair stylist:True dandruff is a combo of oily hair/dry scalp often with scabbing, whereas dry, flaky scalp is most likely caused by drying irritants in shampoo (such as lauryl sodium sulfate). Dandruff shampoos are drying, intended for oily hair. A quality moisturizing shampoo without harsh chemicals can alleviate itchy, flaky scalp. (Many shampoos also contain carcinogens and other harmful chemicals.) Jesse has been using dandruff shampoo since we met. When he ran out and tried the Arbonne shampoo, his “dandruff” disappeared, now we know why.
Rita’s recommended leading list:
“What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Pre-Menopause” by Dr. John Lee, Dr. Jesse Hanley & Virginia Hopkins
“What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Menopause” by Dr. John Lee, Dr. Jesse Hanley & Virginia Hopkins
“What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Breast Cancer” by Dr. John Lee, Dr. David Zava and Virginia Hopkins
The “What your doctor may not tell you…” series also includes books on prostrate cancer, depression, migraines, hypothyroidism, and more.
“Dr.Lee’s Hormone Balance Made Simple: The Essential How-to Guide to Symptoms, Dosage, Timing, and More” by Dr. John Lee and Virginia Hopkins
“Natural Hormone Balance for Women”, by Uzzi Reiss, MD OB/GYN
Knockout: Interviews with Doctors Who Are Curing Cancer--And How to Prevent Getting It in the First Place by Suzanne Somers
Other sources of study for Rita have included a subscription to
- Dr. Russell Blaylock’s Health and Wellness report
- information provided by Dr. Stacey Bean, formerly of U.W. Hospital
- and various web-sites, including:
Life is not merely living, but living in wellness.