Thursday, April 14, 2011

Taco Seasoning Made from Scratch!

Happy tax day! I hope it is a happy day for you - the Lord made it for you!
With the dangers of food dyes and chemicals in our processed foods making headlines as of late, I thought I would pass along a recipe my friend Renee gave me for homemade taco seasoning.
Of course when I checked the package of El Paso mix, McCormick, etc. - I noted that food dyes were on the ingredient list - which axes that chemical laden packet from our cupboard in the future. Making taco seasoning from scratch will taste a bit different from what you may be used to, simply because our brains are programmed to crave the chemicals in our processed foods. Give this recipe a try, and don't expect to love it until it has had a few chances to reprogram your tastebuds. My friend said her family now loves this seasoning mix, although initially they did not. It is made with spices that are readily in my cupboard, and perhaps yours as well. Thanks for the recipe Renee!

Chemical/Dye Free Taco Seasoning Mix
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teasoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon powdered oregano or dried leaf pieces
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix together and add to ground beef or chicken or turkey along with a small amount of water to help make it saucey. Stir and let simmer until it looks mixed.

Happy, healthful cooking!
Rita S.

No comments:

Post a Comment