Monday, July 25, 2011

Bio-Identical Progeserone How To - Part 1

I’ve been asked, “how do you apply progesterone cream” – and I am happy to say – very easily! What I share today is derived from a hand-out Dr. Stacey Bean has provided to Arbonne consultants, which is based on Dr. John Lee’s protocol for progesterone cream. However, I also add in that which Dr. Michael Platt tells of, as well as additional resources, which are noted.
What…
First, let’s simply discuss the type of progesterone to use, and why transdermal cream vs. oral pill. To put it simply, both Dr. John Lee, Dr. Michael Platt, and a host of others, feel transdermal cream is the way to go – as oral pills have to bypass the liver and the end result is converted into a different type of progesterone. A transdermal cream, applied on thin skin areas, allows the bio-identical hormone of progesterone to go directly into the bloodstream so it can begin its effectiveness.
Where…
While Dr. Lee recommends alternating where the cream is applied each time: inner arms, forehead, face, neck, upper chest, breasts and bottoms of non-callused feet; Dr. Platt states to simply apply cream to the inside of the forearm and wrists. After having read the latter, I find it much easier to apply the cream at night when I am tired after a long day. I quickly pop the cap off my Prolief bottle, push down on the pump to deliver my ¼ tsp. of progesterone cream (free of trace metals), apply directly to one inner forearm, and then rub both forearms together until the cream is absorbed. I love the convenience of the pump as I don’t have to measure anything or even get any on my hands with this method. Convenience goes a long way in preventing me from skipping an application due to being wore out. For those who know me, I am up late almost nightly researching, blogging, and sharing what I learn…I go to bed when I realize I am nodding off at the computer. I have to talk myself in to brushing my teeth some nights!
However, when I am not feeling so lazy I do move it around from place to place as Lee recommends, but it is nice to know it is not necessary. I find Platt’s recommendation especially helpful if a man or younger person chooses to use the cream, and doesn’t want to have to think too much about where, how and when. Let’s face it, if it is difficult most people won’t do it.
When…
Morning and night…twice a day for women. Men need only to apply progesterone cream once a day.
It’s important to apply progesterone cream on to clean skin – before you apply other lotions, oils, make-up, etc.; or after you have washed up at the end of the day.
Location! Location! Location!
Fatty tissue areas gets progesterone into the cells versus the bloodstream. An example would be on the breasts, and I am the first to admit when I received my first bottle of Prolief, I could not wait to apply the cream on the areas squished and damaged from my last mammogram, in hopes it could help heal any damaged tissues. Breast application was also done in a European study that Lee mentions in his book, “What Your Doctor May Not Tell You About Breast Cancer” to alleviate fibrocystic breasts symptoms.
Another example of applying transdermal cream to fatty tissue areas is for cramping…
For Menstrual Cramps
Doctors are quick to prescribe birth control pills to teenage girls with menstrual cramps. BCP, of course, contain synthetic hormones, and really tends to exasperate hormone imbalances, and side effects of birth control can really cause problems for a number of women, especially down the line.
The Natural Progesterone Advisory Network states: Try applying progesterone cream just above the pubic area at the onset of uterine cramping. For women who are still menstruating, the most effective time to apply progesterone cream is 12 days after the 1st day of your period, continue use for 14 days then stop. Repeat each month.
Dosage Amount
Prolief, the cream I use, delivers 20 mg of USP progesterone with each pre-metered pump. Dr. Lee is an advocate of a 20 mg dose in the morning and one in evening to mimic the amount a woman in her child-bearing years would naturally produce.
Platt, on the other hand, claims 40 mg a day is not enough for an estrogen dominant/progesterone deficient women, and in his book, “The Miracle of Bio-Identical Hormones” advocates for 100 mg of USP progesterone per day.
There are two sides to every coin, and I have to say – I see validity in both perspectives. For a person like myself, with estrogen dominant/insulin over production symptoms that really do not curtail my quality of life – 40 mg a day is plenty. For a friend of mine who had cramping, mood swings, breast tenderness – basically a bad case of PMS, 40 mg improved her symptoms in a month’s time. (It is important to note that Dr. Lee states it can take 3-4 months for symptoms to alleviate as the gap between imbalance begins to close.)
However, Platt’s method(s) do have a place, I feel…and I am going to share a story that illustrates when more may be better…but you will have to tune in to part two of this topic to come soon!
I have made it easy for you not to miss one of my blog posts - at the upper right of the screen is a "subscribe" option, that should notify you everytime I post a new thread to my blog.

To your health!
Rita S.

No comments:

Post a Comment