Friday, January 6, 2012

Gluten and Dairy Free Chicken Pot Pie Soup

As promised...I pinned a soup recipe by Gina on my Pintrist board and vowed to make a detox version...and here it is.

Gluten and Lactose Free Chicken Pot Pie Soup
1 32 oz carton organic chicken broth or stock
2 c. almond milk
4-6 cups vegetables - broccoli/cauliflower florets and julienne carrots
1 red bell pepper diced
3-4 chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
1 onion, diced
3 stalks celery, chopped
4-6 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 c. brown rice
Shitake mushrooms (optional)
1/4 c. rice flour
1/2 c cold water

Cut chicken into bite sized pieces. Cook chicken, onions and garlic in EVOO with touch of turmeric spice. Set aside.
Place vegetables and rice in kettle with broth on simmer (just under a boil). Tonight I used Freshlike vegis from the freezer section as florets were done and carrots julienned - after a long day at work - easy!
Add Mural of Flavor from Penzeys or other spice as desired. Keep an eye on soup and add water or more broth if needed for rice to cook.
Add 2 cups almond milk once rice is cooked, plus additional spices if desired.
Make a surry with rice flour and cold water and slowly add, heat through, stirring.
Almond milk will bubble a lot if lid is left on kettle. I forgot the mushrooms at the store but it was still packed with flavor - I think sauteeing the chicken with garlic and onions make it sing!
We made it with quinoa at Abby's request - it tasted good but the quinoa is going to get quite mushy with reheats, and I am not fond of mush texture. RICE is my recommendation!
I was also very disappointed when I realized I forgot mushrooms at the store as I love shitakes! next time!
I will note that I also did not buy celery as I am not a huge fan - however, tonight I read that celery contains a good amount of a flavanoid called apigenin, that prohibits the cancer causing enzyme aromatase from growing and spreading. I want to learn to LOVE celery!
A cancer preventative benefit of onions is that it contains quercetin, which also inhibits aromatase, although celery is the winner with quantity. If you like turmeric add more in to your soup as well as it contains curcumin - another POWERFUL nutrient on the cancer prevntion/healing list.

To your health!
Rita S.

No comments:

Post a Comment