Thursday, January 3, 2013

"BEST EVER" Gluten Free Banana Bread

"Best ever mom - next time bake at least two loaves ...you gotta!"
Ok, they didn't say please, but their enthusiasm over my latest gluten-free baking accomplishment was please enough!
The recipe starts with the one found on the backside of a package of Bob's Red Mill All Purpose Baking Flour. However, I have been having success in substituting half of what is asked for with almond flour, which in my opinion results in a better tasting baked product.
Granted, I haven't been doing 100s of recipes with this substitution, as overall I bake very little, but I do know that Bob's GF Baking Flour has a bean base and too much of it makes your baked goods taste a little beany, and some what strange.
If you are doing the 30 Day Elimination plan to kick off your new year - this is a great alternative when you are giving up gluten, dairy, soy, sugar, etc.  Our children loved it so much that all I managed to get were two slices shortly after it came out of the oven, and my husband didn't get a single nibble.  Did I mention we have a teenage boy in the house?


Gluten Free Banana Bread
1/3 cup organic coconut oil (brought to liquid – melts at approx. 72 degrees)
2/3 c packed brown sugar OR 1/3 c. raw organic agave nectar OR 2/3 c. organic granulated coconut sugar
1 t. pure vanilla extract
3 brown free range eggs (eggs don't range, but the chickens that laid them do!)
1 cup Bob’s Red Mill GF Baking Flour*
¾ c. almond flour*
2 tsp. GF baking powder or use substitute blend below
1.5 tsp. Korintje cinnamon
½ tsp. fine Celtic sea salt
1 tsp Xanthum gum
1.5 cups mashed banana (2 large or 3 smaller)

Whisk first four ingredients together in large bowl.  Slowly fold and work in dry ingredients.  Add crushed walnuts or pecans if desired.  Bake in 9x5 bread loaf pan, greased with coconut oil, at 350 degrees for 45 min.

Gluten Free Baking Powder Substitute
·           1/3 cup baking soda
·     2/3 cup cream of tartar
·     2/3 cup arrowroot

Below are links to the products in my gluten-free pantry below.  An asterisk in the recipe above means that you can find these products at Willy Street Co-op if you are local to Madison, Wisconsin.  Almond flour can be purchased in bulk, so you can take as much or little as you want. Amazon offers a few products individually packaged, but where you have to buy four of one item you may want to split with a friend, depending upon how  much you bake.
Almond flour (great tasting baked goods and breakfast crepes)
Arrowroot Powder (thickening and binding agent – great for sauces and soups)

Another product I just ordered for my gluten free baking pantry is Tapioca Flour to go with the gluten free Teff flour I already have. I noticed the two are simultaneously  used together in almost every recipe, so I need the tapioca flour to utilize my Teff.

I hope you will try this banana bread. It is super moist which is what made it so good. I am not sure what I did the first/last time I made a gluten free version of banana bread, but it was almost on the dry side and not nearly so good.  I did use a bit more banana than what the recipe asked for, perhaps, but all I knew was I had three browning bananas and I needed to use them all up!

To your health and healthy baking!
Rita S.

1 comment:

  1. buy tadaflo 20 mg online contains Tadalafil which belongs to a group of medicines called phosphodiesterase type 5 inhibitors. It is used to treat adult men with erectile dysfunction and symptoms of benign prostatic hyperplasia also used to manage pulmonary arterial hypertension.

    ReplyDelete