Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Cauliflower Rice - Yes, You Can Get Your Kids to Eat This Vegetable



Tonight I made cauliflower rice!  The kids did not know it wasn't rice - it was different, they had commented, but thought it was the spice I used. Our daughter said her dad's fried rice, with bacon pieces, was better; however, my rice was okay. I replied that my rice had more health benefits.  Our kids are used to that, coming from me. 

The dish came together quickly.  I sauteed a half chopped onion (garlic optional - I was in a hurry and did not grab the garlic) in a skillet with extra virgin olive oil, and sprinkled turmeric spice (just a bit) on top. Cook the onions until translucent, about 10 minutes. I sprinkled some celery seed in as well (as the recipe called for celery and I didnt have any). 

I used the food processor to pulse my fresh cauliflower florets fine - like little bits of rice.  I had washed the cauliflower two days earlier and it was remaining from another recipe. I added  the cauliflower to the skillet, and put in a couple tablespoons of water, put the lid on to allow the cauliflower to steam, for about 10 min. total.

On a whim I threw in two handfuls of spinach to wilt about 5 min. before serving. That was it! A great "elimination diet" friendly dish!

If I had had tomatoes on hand I would have added chopped tomatoes. I can see adding cooked ground turkey and making a version of Spanish Un-rice using cauliflower.  Maybe it was the turmeric I used, but the kids never caught on that the "rice" really was not. It did not taste like cauliflower. We served the dish with chicken.

I was hoping to have leftovers for lunch, however, our teenage son decided to get seconds and emptied the skiller of what remained. I guess we need to make more next time!

If you are struggling to get  your kids to eat the very healthy cruciferous vegetables - try making a cauliflower rice dish. Another thought, if you are not eating dairy free, is that freshly grated parmesan might have been pretty tasty on top of this dish as well. 

I will say I took a picture with my phone before we consumed all of it, however, I seem to have some trouble uploading to blogger this evening.

Eat your veggies and LIVE with vitality!

To your health,
Rita S.

No comments:

Post a Comment