Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Colon Cancer Prevention: Part 1

A good message is worth repeating.  It has been nearly three years since I originally shared my research on colon cancer prevention. At the time I was pretty nervous about my health. Since that time, I have completely turned my health around. I am no longer nervous, but mindful.  I am aware of what I put in my body, both in my gut and on my skin - as the body is blasted with environmental and estrogenic toxins from many different pathways.

Colon cancer ...not only is it coined “the silent killer”, but according to the American Cancer Society it is the second leading cause of cancer death in the United States. (Moving up from third place in 2007.) For personal reasons, three years ago this was a concern and I began reading quite a bit about this particular cancer, and subsequently made a lifestyle change and incorporated health and wellness products that do not waiver from a pure, safe and beneficial ingredient policy. 

Dr. Robert Russell of Tufts University School of Medicine states that one half the risk of colon cancer is diet related. Changing one’s diet can significantly reduce the risk. I thought I would share some of the steps I have learned one can take to hopefully avoid Colon Cancer. By the time I finished reading from my various sources, this blog post became so long that I feel I must break it up in to two parts. 

So first, some thoughts on causes….

Hormones? In many cases, colon cancer arises from what is known as a polyp, a growth in the colon. I had suspected for some time that colon cancer could be related to hormones. Afterall, if excess estrogen causes cysts in the ovaries, fibroids in the breast, and enlarged prostrate – all forms of excess cell growth, it makes sense to me that excess estrogen also causes the growth of a polyp. In October of 2011 I received affirmation on this theory in reading Dr. Michael Platt's book - The Miracle of Bio-Identical Hormones. Platt concurs and adds colon cancer to the list of cancers in which too much of the estrogen hormone and too little progesterone play a part. I have since increased my Prolief progesterone cream usage upon hearing this to two metered dosages of 20 mg of USP certified transdermal cream per day.

Hormones are worth mentioning, because let’s face it…we don’t want those other forms of cancers either, do we? I am a believer in the benefits of using a bio-identical progesterone cream that counters excess estrogen in the body.

Inflammatory Diet: Dr. Russell Blaylock states, “As with all cancers, chronic inflammation and free radical generation are the ultimate causes. Those with inflammatory bowel conditions, such as ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease,and Type 2 Diabetes, the latter of which results in high levels of free radicals in the body, have high association with colon cancer risk.”

Lack of Sunshine? Studies show that those who live in the northeastern portion of the U.S. have higher incidence than those who live in the south. Why is this? Vitamin D3 deficiency. Studies show that vitamin D3 inhibits many types of cancer, including colorectal cancers. How do you get your D3 – spend 15 min. a day out in the sun without sunscreen! Tanning bed users beware…it is not the same thing! 
During the winter everyone in my family utilizes a vegan Vitamn D/B12 oral spray supplement. Our added bonus is a strong immune system and and ability to fight of colds and influenza viruses readily.
Calcium deficiency is another mineral shown to dramatically reduce colon cancer. However, per Dr. Blaylock, don’t replace your water intake with milk (which substantially increases the risk of prostrate cancer, and even heart attacks). The almond milk I drink every morning in my alkaline based, yellow pea, brown rice and cranberry based protein drink contains 45% of the daily recommended allowance for calcium, as compared to 30% for skim milk. Also, a calcium supplement (look for calcium citrate for absorbability) that also contains Vitamin D and Magnesium necessary for the body to utilize the calcium, and offers colon health support. I was in Costco and noted the highly marketable chocolate chew form of a calcium supplement (geared towards women of course, who usually take a calcium supplement when older) and I noticed that the product did not contain magnesium. So yes, it may taste good, but your body would not be able to make use of the calcium without magnesium present. Most Americans also have a magnesium deficiency, which is a greater problem than we realize, and common amongst many with cancers.
I use a Calcium Plus product that contains all of these nutrients, and the ORAC value is 8,000! (Which means the actual absorption of the product is phenomenal!

Okay, so now we know we need some sunshine and should avoid inflammatory foods (sugar, wheat, gluten, and dairy products are especially inflammatory). What?! Give up bread and cheese? How unWisconsin like, right? If cancer is diagnosed - no doubt, I would give up sugar, glutenous grains, and dairy - especially if it can mean life or death. But if you are in prevention mode, as I am, it simply means cutting back. Moderation.  Consume 70% GREEN FOODS and it will go a long way in providing oxygen to your cells. My daily goal is to consmer a greater percentage of alkaline based, or plant food, over acidic based foods - primarily sourced from animals.  By the way, the hormonal imbalance can be associated to eating animal based foods from animals that have been fed hormones for faster growth, anti-biotics, fed pesticide/herbicide laden grains/crops.  Know your food sources, befriend a farmer, learn their farming practices.

We need to eat vegetables rich in calcium, or supplement, and strive to balance our hormones, either with diet or utilizing bio-identical supplementation (which is not the same as HRT by any means! If you have been reading this blog a while you are aware, and if not, check the topic cloud at the upper right to learn more.) 

What else can we do to help thwart the “silent killer”? I will be sharing more thoughts on colon cancer prevention very soon. Remember, I am not a doctor, but a holistic health junkie, watching out for myself and my family, and sharinig what I am learning along my path towards a health-centered journey. Take control of your health and READ scientifically accredited studies, research by those in the medical field, and always question what you read.  Can it be backed up, or it is repeated by other sources, etc.

To your health,
Rita S.

No comments:

Post a Comment