Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Strawberry Rhubarb Smoothies!

It's rhubarb time!!! I am not a fan of rhubarb. I have never warmed to its sour taste, but when the neighbor offered I accepted because I know it is good for you. High in vitamin C and dietary fiber, and a great source of calcium!
As I was contemplating what I could do with my bag of rhubarb - seeing that I am on a gluten/sugar free (and more) elimination diet for 30 days, I was going to look for a clean-eating recipe idea for rhubarb.Then I realized - I could add rhubarb to my low glycemic Arbonne smoothie, as the raw organic stevia extract used as the sweetener in my vegan/soy free protein powder will naturally sweeten the rhubarb as well.
 As I drink my breakfast meal replacement shake, I must say ...today's smoothie experiment is excellent! Fast and simple to make - here are the ingredients for this new twist on a strawberry smoothie, in the order in which I placed them in my Ninja Pro Blender.

Strawberry Rhubarb Smoothie 
1/2 cup water
2 cups of washed, chopped rhubarb
2 scoops Arbonne vanilla protein
1/2 scoop Arbonne Fiber Boost
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
4 frozen strawberreis
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk

If you have a powerful blender - Vitamix or Blendtec your machine will puree the fresh rhubarb no problem. Know your equipment - try using the rhubarb fresh, but you may have to cook it slightly to soften. Blend all ingredients until smooth and enjoy!

I will note that I added a couple leaves of lemon balm simply because I visited an organic grower friend of mine this morning to get vegetable plants for my garden, and she sent me home some lemon balm. I can't taste it - but there are health benefits to lemon balm as well!

As I type this and finish my smoothie I can BARELY get it all down. I feel SO FULL!! Before my shake I tried Arbonne's new Evolution Full Control product....which contains glucomannan - a plant fiber that expands in your stomach to make you feel full. I used as directed, about 20 min. before my shake. I don't feel like I can eat another bite all day!!

I have two clients who have already lost several pounds just days into our 30 Day Summer Slimdown challenge... I need to stay on track - so glad I could find a low glycemic use for fresh rhubarb!

May you feel great, look great and live great - let healthy be your new happy!
Rita S.

No comments:

Post a Comment