Sunday, August 14, 2011

Mark's Daily Apple on Oils

Happy Sunday to everyone. We enjoyed a message filled with love this morning - specifically, God's love for us. We don't have to do anything to earn it. It's absolutely free. I was moved to remember the day our son was born. If you have been there - you know you'd do anything for that baby, including give of your life. That's what God did for us when He sent His son Jesus, to die for our sins. His love is amazing - I hope you know HE is always there for you, even as you may struggle to walk on a journey to regain your health.
Our body's are a temple for the Spirit - and we need to take care of the incredible piece of "machinery" that we are. Like any machine, we need a good oil to keep our parts working prime - such as Omega 3s.
I absolutely love the vegan based Omega 3 I incorporate - it is not only good for my heart, but vital for brain function, clarity, full of anti-oxidants, anti-inflammatory for joints, and more. Next to my multi-vitamin, which has an ORAC value of 10,000!! my Omega 3s are an all important part of my regimen.
What about oils? There is much to know. Omega 3s, Omega 6s, Omega 9s - which do we want to consume? All are needed for the machinery inside us to operate efficiently, however, our food industry as a whole has us oversatiated with Omega 6 and 9s. We can thank processed foods for that.
Per Dr. Andrew Weil, our diets completely lack in Omega 3s. Omega-3s are necessary for optimal physical and mental health. Research indicates that the omega-3 fatty acids found in cold-water fish may help reduce the risk and symptoms of a variety of disorders, and can lower triglyceride levels, increase HDL cholesterol, help minimize inflammation and inappropriate blood clotting, and keep blood vessels healthy.
The best sources are wild-caught Alaskan salmon, canned sockeye salmon, sardines, herring and black cod. I recommend two to six servings per week of fish that are high in omega-3s as part of my anti-inflammatory diet.
Per Weil, 3 types of fish to AVOID: large predatory fish - shark, swordfish, white albacore tuna may have high levels of mercury; tilapia - an omega 6 fish vs omega 3, which is an inflammatory oil; farmed salmon (aka Atlantic Salmon).

I admit I am concerned about the quality of ocean life - for Omega 3s to be truly safe of trace metals, mercury, etc. the oil must be highly processed. Which is why I choose vegan for my supplements.
What about use of oils in the kitchen for cooking? If you have not yet subscribed to Mark's Daily Apple blog I highly recommend it. The blog focuses on Primal living and you can get some great recipe ideas. In general, I have agreed with much of what is said regarding food choices. In the post linked here, oils are discussed for cooking in the kitchen, with a high smoke point. There is a lot fo hoopla out there to make you think an oil is really healthy for you and the best for cooking, but keep in mind that if there is a lot of hype, there is more than meets the eye, or the ear in case of what you are told.
I am in complete agreement with Mark's Daily Apple on this discussion of oil choices - check it out here. Remember, we already consume too much Omega 6 in our diets, and not enough Omega 3s.
I admit, I am still amazed by how many HEALTHY EATING cookbooks are still using canola oil. As always, do your own diligence and choose the best option for your individual healthful needs.

To your health!
Rita S.


No comments:

Post a Comment