Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Chicken & Cancer Fighting Spices

Our family had a delicious dinner this evening...Chicken Korma. I found a recipe and adapted it for the slo cooker to accomodate our Tuesday evening of Stephen Ministry, piano lessons and Girl Scouts - run, run, run! (LOL)
Because I adapted it for the slo cooker organic chicken broth was added to the original recipe. I have already mentioned in previous blogs, the cancer fighting properties of curcumin and turmeric, both of which are included.
I will provide my slo cooker version, since I have not tried and tested the original, for which I made a few adaptions.

Easy Chicken Korma
In a slo cooker pour 2 cups of organic chicken stock or broth. (although I think one cup may have been enough)
1 large onion coarsley chopped

Brush 6-8 organic chicken breasts with extra virgin olive oil, and lay on top of onion

On top of chicken:
5 T. mango chutney (I incorporated my peach/mango salsa from Costco)
4 large garlic cloves, pressed
1 t. coarse sea salt

Spices to make garam masala:
1 t. black pepper
1 t. curcumin
2 t. cardamom
2. t. cinnamon
1/2 t. ground cloves
2. t. turmeric
1/4 t. chili powder

Blend spices in a small bowl and sprinkle over top of chicken breasts. Cover and cook on low heat setting for 8-10 hrs.

About one hour before serving add in PLAIN yogurt - approximately 6 T., stir. Use two forks to pull apart chicken breasts into chunks.
Serve over a bed of brown rice, top with sliced almonds if desired.
This dish packed a lot of flavor. If you enjoy heat, simply increase chili powder. Because it was cooked in the slo cooker there is a lot of flavorful liquid remaining. I recommend saving the broth as a base for a pot of chicken soup because it is so delicious!
If you have recipes that incorproate turmeric or curcumin, both packed with anti cancer cell properties - please feel free to share them with me!
Enjoy!
To your health,
Rita S.

No comments:

Post a Comment